This blog is a location to reflect, discuss and critique readings, illustrations and findings regarding democratic education in the classroom and school community.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Stories for teaching social justice


Another enjoyable day in EDUC 692. I am very sad to see this course end. Bravo! to all of the presentations this far. There is a wealth of knowledge in our class and I have enjoyed everything each of you has had to share.

I especially enjoyed Heather and Lorraine's presentation on Books for Teaching Social Justice Issues. I LOVE BOOKS! I always have, especially children's literature. My dream job was a couple of years ago. I was teacher librarian in a newer (under 10 years old) school library. No books from 1960 there!! Every day I received a book order was like Christmas.

One book on today's social justice book list was Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. I am using this story on the first day of school. It is a lovely tale of a little mouse whose name is Chrysanthemum. In the beginning, she faces teasing by her classmates because of her name, but in the end, they all want "flowery" names like hers!! You have to read to find out why. Let's just say it is the words and actions of a teacher that changes everyone's mind about Chrysanthemum's name! It is a sweet story to teach bullying, diversity, and acceptance.

I look forward to adding some of the resources to my personal library to help me teach social justice in the upcoming school year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eva said...

Hey I tag on Marisa. we can use them in high school.

12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home