This blog is a location to reflect, discuss and critique readings, illustrations and findings regarding democratic education in the classroom and school community.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Mickey Mouse Monopoly



Cathy did tell us this course would make us feel uncomfortable! :) In addition to feeling uncomfortable when I watched the video, it is making me think. Then, reading the article on Teachers' Beliefs, Antiracism and Moral Education made me realize why this course is making me 'think uncomfortably'. It is because "our most fundamental beliefs about education must be changed" (p. 1) , according to the article. My educational intentions are often focused on the individual and interpersonal perspectives.
Deconstructing is a new term and new practice for me. Learning about deconstructing has and will continue to change me, my teaching, my parenting and my values. There is so much to learn and it is so valuable for me as a teacher, parent, and person.

Does it make me a hypocrite if I want to watch Cinderella with my 8-year old daughter? I don't think so. It is as an opportunity for a courageous conversation with her. I can teach her to deconstruct. She will be able to deconstruct at a much younger age and it will be a part of her natural value system.

Did Walt Disney set out to monopolize the world? I doubt it. I think that his name is on something that has gone out of control. (Just looking for items to decorate my daughter's room with this past week showed me that! Disney merchandise is everywhere!) The people who now run the corporation should know better. I think they are getting away from the initial idea Walt Disney had when he started the theme parks. Walt Disney said: "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland with the idea of making money." In fact, he spent 17 million dollars to get it off the ground "When we opened Disneyland, a lot of people got the impression that it was a get-rich-quick thing, but they didn't realize that behind Disneyland was this great organization that I built here at the Studio, and they all got into it and we were doing it because we loved to do it. We did it (Disneyland), in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year.""We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."
Walt Disney also recognized the impact films have on children: "Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."(See more quotes by Walt Disney here.) I think the corporation has fallen away from Walt's original idea.

The video Mickey Mouse Monopoly did get me thinking, but I know that it won't stop me from watching TV or movies produced by Disney or any other company. I enjoy them too much! They do offer great entertainment. Instead, I will watch constructively, reflectively and have the remote control handy to pause, stop and talk about what is being seen. They will offer teachable moments and courageous conversations in my home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home