This blog is a location to reflect, discuss and critique readings, illustrations and findings regarding democratic education in the classroom and school community.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Cartoon to accompany Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack


I found this cartoon in a copy of "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" on line. I know it is tough to read, so here are what the frames say:

"You gotta understand. I'm not responsible."
"Maybe if I've ever competed with a black for a job or apartment or something I had an unfair advantage."
"But that's not my responsibility. Anyway, no one can prove that's ever happened, right?"
"It's a shame cops harass innocent blacks, but I'm not the one who voted in this mayor."
"Come to think of it, I did vote for him -- but that was about other stuff!" "Anyway, isn't it great crime is down?"
"Nowadays everyone's a victim. . . like gays. What do gay rights have to do with me?"
"Yes, I am married. What does that have to do with gay rights? It's not like I'm the one asking for special privileges."
"Nothing against gays, but marriage is special. If gays could marry it would diminish it for straights.""What do you mean 'Wow?' It just would!"
"It's like women these days, always complaining . . when really women are equal today!"
"If women get less money and aren't nearly half the senetors, it's because they don't want that stuff!" "Women are just different that way!"
"The weird part is, with affirmative action and special programs and all, all these people actually have a big advantage!"
"I mean, what kind of privileges do straight white men ever get?"

Have you heard these words from friends, family, colleagues?
How does this cartoon make you feel?
Have you ever had any of these thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home